Pores on your skin are the openings of hair follicles. The follicle has two parts, a hair and a sebaceous gland. The sebaceous gland secretes sebum (oil), which goes up the hair, out of the pore, and onto the skin. It keeps your skin lubricated and soft. These pores may become blocked by oil, dead skin cells, bacteria, and dirt. Due to this, you may develop a pimple or “zit.” It most commonly occurs on your face, and sometimes on neck, back, chest, and shoulders. If you are having acne, you’ll usually notice red bumps, pus points, whiteheads or blackheads.
Multiple factors that together contribute to acne are-
- Abnormal sebum production by your pilosebaceous unit
- Abnormal keratinization leading to dead skin cells collection in your pores
- Bacteria build up in your pores
Different types of acne lesions are:
- Papules - tiny red, raised bumps due to inflamed hair follicles.
- Whiteheads and blackheads
- Nodules - painful, solid lumps under the surface of your skin.
- Pustules - small red pimples with pus at their tips.
- Cysts - large lumps found below skin, containing pus and are generally painful.
- Hormonal changes due to puberty or PCOS or pregnancy
- Some medications
- Eating too much junk food (high glycemic food)
Acne patient can take some general measures at home like -
- Clean your skin regularly
- Use water-based make up products
- Do not squeeze or touch pimples
- Take low glycemic diet.
- Exercise regularly
- Drink ample water
- Those who have a tendency for acne scarring should seek treatment early.
Acne can be treated easily with the multitude of treatment options that are now available. Medications help by killing bacteria, opening pores, reducing sebum on your skin. Some of these are Benzoyl peroxide, Retinoids and Salicylic acid. Sometimes, if you still continue to experience symptoms, you may need oral medications which need to be taken under the Dermatologist guidance. Some additional procedures can be done to clear acne fast and prevent scarring like-
- A chemical peel- Basically removes the top layers of your skin and skin clears faster
- Comedo removal- for whiteheads and blackheads which have become persistent
- Photodynamic therapy- a special light or laser to minimize oil production and bacteria
- Microdermabrasion- helps open pores and removes dead skin cells
- Cortisone injections- given for large acne cysts and nodules.
So Consult a Dermatologist at Skin Care World Clinic, Gurugram for Acne free skin.